From Greg Lindholm <greg.lindh...@gmail.com>
Subject Occasional 505 and 400 status codes
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2012 20:17:45 GMT
I have a web app that uses HttpClient 4.1.3 and HttpCode 4.1.4 to send a
request to another service I also run and the client is getting occasional
status codes 505 and 400 reported.

It processes about 50,000 requests a day and in each days log I see 25 - 50
errors for unexpected status codes of either 505 or 400 being returned.

My service is running under Tomcat 6 and it doesn't (in my code) ever
return a status 400 or 505, and there is nothing in the service logs to
indicate a problem. (It's possible if there was a problem at the service
that I'm not logging it.)

When my app gets one of these unexpected status code I dump everything
about the transaction to the log but I am not seeing anything odd,
everything I see is looking fine.

The client is using ThreadSafeClientConnManager and DefaultHttpClient and
it's  executing an HttpGet always to the same URL with some Headers added.

I have not been able to reproduce this issue in testing only in production.

Is there any know issues that would cause this?

Can anyone suggest how to figure out what is causing this?

Is ThreadSafeClientConnManager really thread safe?
Is DefaultHttpClient created with a ThreadSafeClientConnManager thread safe?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Greg