From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ConnManagerPNames.html#TIMEOUT vs. CoreConnectionPNames.html#CONNECTION_TIMEOUT
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 22:10:29 GMT
On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 15:18 -0700, Derick Fernando wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was attempting to set the timeout on a connection manager in HTTP Client
> 4.1.
>
> The constant ConnManagerPNames.html#TIMEOUT is deprecated in favor of
> CoreConnectionPNames.html#CONNECTION_TIMEOUT.
>
> However the underlying value for
> CoreConnectionPNames.html#CONNECTION_TIMEOUT is "http.connection.timeout"
> where as CoreConnectionPNames.html#CONNECTION_TIMEOUT corresponds to
> "http.conn-man.timeout.
>
> I wanted to make sure this is correct and intentional. It makes sense
> logically since the connection timeout means that something will eventually
> be returned to an exhausted pool.
>
> Thanks,
> Derick

Hi Derick

Yes, this is intentional. I personally think there is no good reason to
differentiate connect timeout and timeout for connection lease
operation. Having said that in HttpClient 4.2 one override the default
timeout value by using ClientPNames.CONN_MANAGER_TIMEOUT parameter.

Hope this helps

Oleg