From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Closing Idel Connections
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2012 13:24:16 GMT
On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 08:13 -0500, Chad La Joie wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 08:08, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 15:22 -0500, Chad La Joie wrote:
> >> Okay, just so I'm clear then, it's something that one has to write.
> >> There's nothing in HttpClient that actually does this.  Correct?

> > Does not do what exactly?
>
> Does not implement the idle connection handling that your manual describes.

HttpClient evicts expired connections from the pool as it encounters
them. If you want idle connections to be evicted on a regular basis, you
need to start a dedicated thread for that as described in the tutorial.
HttpClient does not do this automatically because for many types of
applications it is not necessary. Evicting idle connections after long
periods of inactivity only may be perfectly sufficient.

Oleg