From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: inconsistent response from HttpCore-NIO server under stress conditions
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 14:55:07 GMT
On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 11:52 +0200, Aekold Helbrass wrote:
> Hi All
>
> We are writing custom HTTP server based on HttpCore-NIO, and we want
> to test it under stress conditions.
>
> We have dependency on another server, so we are suspending output for
> 1 second to wait for response (separate thread is responsible for
> output resuming via callback). Then if we got any data - it is
> written, otherwise we are sending empty response and custom client
> will try again in few seconds. And under normal conditions everything
> works just fine, but when we are launching stress test - output is
> resumed but after resuming produceContent() method is never invoked.
>
> The question is, what parameter is responsible for this behaviour? I
> suppose it can be SO_TIMEOUT, increasing SO_TIMEOUT partially helped,
> but are there any other parameters that may change behaviour under
> stress conditions?
>
> Thanx.

First off, what version of HttpCore are you using?

This kind of behavior should not be parameter dependent. I may be wrong
here but this is likely to be a bug either in HttpCore or your code.
Unfortunately there is no way of telling what the exact cause of the
problem might be without additional context. Please try to reproduce the
problem with a test application or add wire / context logging to your
server by re-using logging components from the contrib package:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpcore/trunk/httpcore-contrib/src/main/java/org/apache/http/contrib/logging/

With a context / wire log I might be able to tell what could have gone
wrong.

Oleg