From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Fully Android compatible HttpClient 4.1.x; was Re: HttpClient-Cache release that works against HttpClient 4.0?
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2011 08:39:39 GMT
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:49:09AM -0800, candrews wrote:

> I thought of that, but it won't work when an Android app has dependencies
> that use HttpClient.
>
> I use Spring Android Rest Template. My goal is to use Rest Template with
> caching via HttpClient-Cache. If I shade HttpClient (and HttpClient-Cache),
> and include the shaded jar in my project, then Rest Template will not use it
> (as it's compiled to use the "real" HttpClient, not my private copy in a new
> namespace). So now I have to process Rest Template using Maven Shade. I'd
> also like osmdroid to use the same HttpClient, so I have to shade it too...
> Now I'm using at least 4 custom created jar's outside of my Android app's
> ant build system, causing a serious maintenance problem :-)
>
> Is there an ant analogue to Maven Shade? Is there a different approach to
> solving these problems?

There is a way to build a reasonably up-to-date version of HttpClient fully compatible with
Android: shade impl classes and new interfaces only and make them compileable against 4.0
API. That would involve a bit more work but result in a library fully compatible with Android
and 3rd party libraries at the same time.

If someone were to contribute such a port to the project, we probably could even ship it as
an official ASF release.

Oleg