From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpClient-Cache release that works against HttpClient 4.0?
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2011 19:04:33 GMT
On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 14:25 +0000, Moore, Jonathan (CIM) wrote:
> Is that really the only change that would be necessary to work with 4.0? I
> think it might be worth double-checking that all the tests pass with this
> change and when compiled against 4.0.
>
> While I agree that it would be better for Google to be upgrading the
> version of HttpClient they're using, at the same time, there are a lot of
> Android developers and users that would benefit from having the caching
> module. I'm willing to spend a little time to investigate further and
> perhaps make a change like this if it's not going to compromise the
> codebase going forwards.
>
> At the same time, Craig: couldn't you just apply that diff yourself and
> run with a patched version of httpclient-cache in your apps, then wait
> until Google upgrades the HttpClient that's embedded in Android?

Jon

The trouble is that Google made it quite clear they were not going to
upgrade HttpClient in Android. To make matters worse they will continue
shipping their outdated pre-BETA version with Android for releases to
come.

I have no problem with making httpclient-cache compatible with Android
but at the same time I think users we should be encouraging Android
users to migrate to the latest release of HttpClient nonetheless.

Oleg