From David Hosier <hosier.da...@me.com>
Subject Re: Broken BasicResponseHandler
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2011 18:31:48 GMT
I'm using the DefaultHttpClient to make the call, yes. I want to use DefaultHttpClient with
the ResponseHandler the way I am supposed to. However, the API does not give me the ability
to get a hold of the Entity if the status code is 404, because it throws an Exception which
does not contain the entity value. I need the Entity value, even if the call returns 404.
As far as I can tell, I cannot get the information I need from the API the way it is designed
to be used. Is that clearer? Is my assessment correct?

-- David Hosier

On Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-10-06 at 10:47 -0700, David Hosier wrote:
> > I am using this to interface with some REST services. One key to a good REST service
is to never let something like a 404 spit out the server's generic 404 HTML page in response
to a REST request. So my service instead returns an entity with the 404 that says something
like "Could not find alert 12334". I should be able to show this response entity. However,
given the way the ResponseHandler works with HttpClient, this is not possible, because the
entity is not part of the Exception that is thrown when the ResponseHandler encounters a 404.
Without manually reading the entity after ResponseHandler throws an Exception, I would only
be able to show the fields that are contained in the Exception. That means I could only show
the text 'Not Found', which is hardly meaningful since the status code of 404 already tells
me that.

> You are using ResponseHandler to interface with some REST services
> without using DefaultHttpClient? I am sorry but it still makes no sense
> to me. You might as well handle responses from that service _any_ way
> you like without using a ResponseHandler.
>
> Oleg
>
> > -- David Hosier

ResponseHandler to the execute() method. I am actually calling handleResponse() on the ResponseHandler
manually.

> > > I honestly see no sense in doing so. ResponseHandler is pretty much
> > > useless without the resource management code in AbstractHttpClient.
> > >
> > > What is the reason you want to invoke #handleResponse manually?
> > >
> > > Oleg

on error conditions. With the way this works, you can only get very basic information from
the HttpResponseException. For example, on a 404, it looks like the Exception only contains
404 and 'Not Found'. I am able to pluck out the entity when invoking handleResponse() manually
by simply consuming the entity myself, but it's not possible to get the entity if the ResponseHandler
is passed to execute() and the status is not 2xx. Am I off base here or is my analysis correct?
Would you recommend that if I really need the entity on a non-2xx response that I just keep
manually consuming the entity? I'm not sure it would make sense for your library to attempt
to consume the entity in BasicResponseHandler and try to add it as an
me to would have to change if you did that.

in httpclient 4.1.2 does not satisfy the javadocs as written. The javadoc states the following:

is consumed and an HttpResponseException (http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-ga/httpclient/apidocs/org/apache/http/client/HttpResponseException.html)
is thrown."

entity. So what happens is that if you get a non-2xx response, connections are never released
as can be seen by enabling DEBUG logging for the library. Am I misreading the code or javadocs,
or is this really broken? If I catch the Exception and then read the entity manually like
shown above, I can see the connections being closed.

I do not
in my situation however, that the connections are not getting closed. I'll take a closer look
at the code and compare it to this linked code to see if I'm using the right stuff. My assumption
at this point then is that I'm just doing something wrong. Thanks.

(mailto:httpclient-users-help@hc.apache.org)