From David Hosier <hosier.da...@me.com>
Subject Re: Broken BasicResponseHandler
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2011 09:59:48 GMT
Ok, I see what the difference is in this situation. I am not passing the ResponseHandler to
the execute() method. I am actually calling handleResponse() on the ResponseHandler manually.
The problem I have with the implementation is that I return error messages on error conditions.
With the way this works, you can only get very basic information from the HttpResponseException.
For example, on a 404, it looks like the Exception only contains 404 and 'Not Found'. I am
able to pluck out the entity when invoking handleResponse() manually by simply consuming the
entity myself, but it's not possible to get the entity if the ResponseHandler is passed to
execute() and the status is not 2xx. Am I off base here or is my analysis correct? Would you
recommend that if I really need the entity on a non-2xx response that I just keep manually
consuming the entity? I'm not sure it would make sense for your library to attempt to consume
the entity in BasicResponseHandler and try to add it as an
 other fi
eld to the HttpResponseException. The AbstractHttpClient code you linked me to would have
to change if you did that.

-- David Hosier

On Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 2:30 AM, David Hosier wrote:

> On Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 2:22 AM, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 13:44 -0700, David Hosier wrote:
> > > Perhaps I'm wrong, but the code for BasicResponseHandler in httpclient 4.1.2
does not satisfy the javadocs as written. The javadoc states the following:

> > > "If the response code was >= 300, the response body is consumed and an HttpResponseException
(http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-ga/httpclient/apidocs/org/apache/http/client/HttpResponseException.html)
is thrown."

> > > However, the code does not do that:
> > >
> > > StatusLine statusLine = response.getStatusLine();
> > > if (statusLine.getStatusCode() >= 300) {
> > >  throw new HttpResponseException(statusLine.getStatusCode(),
> > >  statusLine.getReasonPhrase());
> > > }
> > >
> > > HttpEntity entity = response.getEntity();
> > > return entity == null ? null : EntityUtils.toString(entity);
> > >
> > > The code clearly throws the Exception without reading the entity. So what happens
is that if you get a non-2xx response, connections are never released as can be seen by enabling
DEBUG logging for the library. Am I misreading the code or javadocs, or is this really broken?
If I catch the Exception and then read the entity manually like shown above, I can see the
connections being closed.

> > > -David
> >
> > Hi David
> > The resource management is taken care of by HttpClient [1]. I do not
> > think BasicResponseHandler is broken. The whole point of ResponseHandler
> > is to free the user from having to worry about resource management and
> > response entities.
> Interesting. Thanks for the link to the code. I can assure you that in my situation however,
that the connections are not getting closed. I'll take a closer look at the code and compare
it to this linked code to see if I'm using the right stuff. My assumption at this point then
is that I'm just doing something wrong. Thanks.