From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Broken BasicResponseHandler
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2011 12:39:46 GMT
On Thu, 2011-10-06 at 02:59 -0700, David Hosier wrote:
> Ok, I see what the difference is in this situation. I am not passing the ResponseHandler
to the execute() method. I am actually calling handleResponse() on the ResponseHandler manually.

I honestly see no sense in doing so. ResponseHandler is pretty much
useless without the resource management code in AbstractHttpClient.

What is the reason you want to invoke #handleResponse manually?

Oleg

>  The problem I have with the implementation is that I return error messages on error
conditions. With the way this works, you can only get very basic information from the HttpResponseException.
For example, on a 404, it looks like the Exception only contains 404 and 'Not Found'. I am
able to pluck out the entity when invoking handleResponse() manually by simply consuming the
entity myself, but it's not possible to get the entity if the ResponseHandler is passed to
execute() and the status is not 2xx. Am I off base here or is my analysis correct? Would you
recommend that if I really need the entity on a non-2xx response that I just keep manually
consuming the entity? I'm not sure it would make sense for your library to attempt to consume
the entity in BasicResponseHandler and try to add it as an
>  other fi
> eld to the HttpResponseException. The AbstractHttpClient code you linked me to would
have to change if you did that.

> -- David Hosier
>
> On Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 2:30 AM, David Hosier wrote:

4.1.2 does not satisfy the javadocs as written. The javadoc states the following:

an HttpResponseException (http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-ga/httpclient/apidocs/org/apache/http/client/HttpResponseException.html)
is thrown."

happens is that if you get a non-2xx response, connections are never released as can be seen
by enabling DEBUG logging for the library. Am I misreading the code or javadocs, or is this
really broken? If I catch the Exception and then read the entity manually like shown above,
I can see the connections being closed.

> > > Hi David
> > > The resource management is taken care of by HttpClient [1]. I do not
> > > think BasicResponseHandler is broken. The whole point of ResponseHandler
> > > is to free the user from having to worry about resource management and
> > > response entities.
> > Interesting. Thanks for the link to the code. I can assure you that in my situation
however, that the connections are not getting closed. I'll take a closer look at the code
and compare it to this linked code to see if I'm using the right stuff. My assumption at this
point then is that I'm just doing something wrong. Thanks.