From Michael Remijan <mjremi...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Confused about target host and proxy authentication
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2011 14:50:21 GMT
It is a POST!  So would I need to configure HttpClient to redirect on a POST?

________________________________
From: Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org>
To: Michael Remijan <mjremijan@yahoo.com>
Cc: HttpClient User Discussion <httpclient-users@hc.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2011 7:15 AM
Subject: Re: Confused about target host and proxy authentication

On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 11:23 -0700, Michael Remijan wrote:
> OK, I have the proxy working.
>

> Now I think I have a redirect problem.  I've read in the documentation HttpClient automatically
handles redirects however I'm getting response which looks like this:

What request method are you using? Please note that entity enclosing
methods such as POST and PUT may not be redirected automatically per
requirements of the HTTP spec.

Oleg

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <TITLE>302 Found</TITLE>
> </HEAD><BODY>
> <H1>Found</H1>
> The document has moved <A HREF="https://www.server.com/path/">here</A>.<P>
> </BODY></HTML>
>

> ________________________________

where I guess I have to use an NTLM proxy.  This proxy does not require authentication (for
example, I can configure my web browser to point to proxy.server.com:8080 and the web browser
connects fine)  However, whenever I try to do this from my Java app, I always get a "access
denied" page from the proxy.  Here is what I've tried for my HttpClient proxy configuration:

> >                 HttpHost proxy
> >                     = new HttpHost("proxy.server.com", 8080);
> >
> >                 httpClient.getParams().setParameter(
> >                     ConnRoutePNames.DEFAULT_PROXY, proxy
> >                 );
> >

> >                 AuthScope authScope = new AuthScope("proxy.server.com",
8080, "[REALM]", "ntlm");
> >                 Credentials credentials = new NTCredentials("[MY_NT_USERNAME]",
"[MY_NT_PASSWORD]", "[WORKSTATION]", "[DOMAIN]");
> >                 httpClient.getCredentialsProvider().setCredentials(
> >                         proxyAuthScope, proxyCredentials
> >                 );
> >

> > Now, I'm not exactly sure what the exact values are suppose to used for "[REALM]",
"[MY_NT_USERNAME]", "[MY_NT_PASSWORD]", "[WORKSTATION]", and "[DOMAIN]", but I have tried
a number of different combinations and have yet to hit a working solution.

> You'd better be sure because if any of those is wrong authentication
> will fail.
>
> > Any additional thoughts?
> >

> Use wire / context logging to examine HTTP packets generated by
> HttpClient and see whether the proxy requests the user to authenticate,
> whether or not HttpClient attempts authentication and what kind of
> response the proxy returns.
>
> http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-ga/logging.html
>
> Oleg

well as login to the proxy.  After I have the connection to the proxy, I then need to also
provide BASIC authentication to target host I'm contacting. I'm confused how to do this configuration.
I have followed the examples and I know how to get a non-authenticating proxy to work and
I have also followed the examples to provide BASIC authentication to my target host.  In
my case the usernames/passwords for both are different so I'm confused how to provide authenticating
information for the proxy as well.  Any help would be appreciated.