From Christian Migowski <chrismf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Preemptive authentication examples wrong
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 06:51:52 GMT
My sincere apologies,

you are right, for some strange reasons I had httpclient 4.0.1 as well
in the classpath which did not have the mentioned field/method which
caused my errors.

Still: forcing the users to implement that code snippet every time
they need to use preemptive auth is just this: forcing the user to do
unnecessary stuff because you want to.
You can and have put an explicit statement about why preemptive auth
should be used carefully or best not used in the documentation
everywhere (with javadoc its even available "during programming"), and
this for sure will raise awareness at the users side, but the code to
be implemented does not show at all that preemptive auth is not
advised, it is just a PITA and this indicates a certain mindset of
you.

There are valid usecases for preemptive auth, I for example needed it
as a workaround for a bug in the server side program I want to
communicate with (if you are interested:
http://www.redmine.org/issues/9099 )

regards,
christian