From amit shah <amits...@gmail.com>
Subject Commons HTTP Client 3.1 - NTLM Response Empty
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 17:33:54 GMT
In the NTLM protocol implementation from httpclient 3.1
(org.apache.commons.httpclient.auth.NTLM) the NTLM Response Fields are
always empty (the NtChallengeResponseLen and NtChallengeResponseMaxLen are
set to 0 while NtChallengeResponseBufferOffset is set to finalLength). I
have a couple of questions on this

1. What is the reason of not computing NTLM Challenge Response?
2. We are facing an issue on one of the windows environments where NTLM
authentication fails with an error - username or password is incorrect. When
comparing the authentication headers generated from commons httpclient and
the NTLM protocol implementation from JDK 1.5.15 (using Wireshark) I found
the NTLM response data being empty. Does this mean  that commons http client
3.1 only supports LAN Manager authentication and it does NOT support NTLM
authentication? If so then a
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LmCompatibilityLevel
registry key value of 4 or 5 on a windows domain controller machine would
mean that commons http client NTLM authentication would not work for a
domain account right?

Thank you.