From Pete Keyes <PKe...@starbucks.com>
Subject RE: Truncated output with HttpPost but works with cURL
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2011 01:29:24 GMT
This is just a guess, but I don't see where you've closed the BufferedOutputStream passed to
the writeTo() method.

...Pete Keyes
Starbucks Coffee Co.

From: Mark Southern [southern@scripps.edu]
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2011 05:48 PM
To: httpclient-users@hc.apache.org
Subject: Truncated output with HttpPost but works with cURL

To whomever can help me!

I am submitting to a web service and receiving an xml file in return. I am using POST b/c
this is too large for a GET. If I use cURL then this works. However with HttpClient (4.1.2)
and the same parameters, I am getting a truncated xml file returned.

Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong? I include the test file but not the whole list
of parameters I am submitting as this is a further 350Kb.

import java.io.BufferedInputStream;
import java.io.BufferedOutputStream;
import java.io.BufferedReader;
import java.io.File;
import java.io.FileInputStream;
import java.io.FileOutputStream;
import java.io.InputStream;
import java.io.InputStreamReader;
import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.List;

import javax.xml.parsers.SAXParser;
import javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory;

import org.apache.http.HttpResponse;
import org.apache.http.NameValuePair;
import org.apache.http.client.HttpClient;
import org.apache.http.client.entity.UrlEncodedFormEntity;
import org.apache.http.client.methods.HttpPost;
import org.apache.http.impl.client.DefaultHttpClient;
import org.apache.http.message.BasicNameValuePair;
import org.xml.sax.helpers.DefaultHandler;

public class HttpClientTest {

                new HttpClientTest().runTest();
        }

        public void runTest() throws Exception {
                List<NameValuePair> list = new ArrayList(50000);
                list.add(new BasicNameValuePair("db", "pcassay"));
                list.add(new BasicNameValuePair("dbfrom", "pcassay"));
                // read in ~50000 ids from file. These are existing uids in the pcassay
                // database.
                BufferedReader reader = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(getClass().getClassLoader().getResourceAsStream("ids.txt")));
                String line = null;
                while (null != (line = reader.readLine())) {
                        list.add(new BasicNameValuePair("id", line));
                }
                list.add(new BasicNameValuePair("term", "summary[activityoutcomemethod]"));
                list.add(new BasicNameValuePair("version", "2.0"));
                list.add(new BasicNameValuePair("email", "...@scripps.edu"));
                list.add(new BasicNameValuePair("tool", "...@scripps.edu"));

                System.out.println("#NameValuePairs: " + list.size());

                HttpPost post = new HttpPost("http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/elink.fcgi");
                UrlEncodedFormEntity entity = new UrlEncodedFormEntity(list);
                post.setEntity(entity);
                HttpClient client = new DefaultHttpClient();
                HttpResponse response = client.execute(post);

                // dump to local file so we can refer to it.
                File file = File.createTempFile("eutils", ".xml");
                System.out.println("Copying eUtils stream to: " + file);
                response.getEntity().writeTo(new BufferedOutputStream(new FileOutputStream(file)));
                InputStream is = new BufferedInputStream(new FileInputStream(file));

                // attempt to parse with sax. There will be an error if only a fragment
                // of the xml is returned.
                SAXParserFactory factory = SAXParserFactory.newInstance();
                SAXParser saxParser = factory.newSAXParser();
                saxParser.parse(is, new DefaultHandler() {
                });
        }
}