From "Villemos, Gert" <gert.ville...@logica.com>
Subject Understanding cookie handling - registering cookies returned in a response
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2011 09:25:51 GMT
Well, I dont understand cookie handling. I have read the very detailed
guide at
http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-ga/tutorial/pdf/httpclient-tu
torial.pdf and a lot of posts, but I still don't get it.

In understand that you typically have a cookie store maintaining the
session cookies, that you set on the client / context.

What I don't get is this;
1. What is the difference between setting the cookie store on the client
and on the context?
2. When I have set a cookiestore (on client and context) and execute a
post that returns a response with cookies (such as JSESSIONID), then I
would expect those cookies to be registered automatically in the cookie
store for usage in the next request... but they aint (store is empty,
see below).
3. Do I need to register the cookies manually and how do I do this?

Snippet of my code;

DefaultHttpClient client = new DefaultHttpClient();
CookieStore cookieStore = new BasicCookieStore();
client.setCookieStore(cookieStore);
client.getParams().setParameter(ClientPNames.COOKIE_POLICY,
CookiePolicy.RFC_2965);

URI uri = new URI(theUri);

HttpHost target = new HttpHost(theDomain, thePort theProtocol);

HttpContext  localContext = new BasicHttpContext();
localContext.setAttribute(ClientContext.COOKIE_STORE, cookieStore);

HttpUriRequest method = new HttpPost(uri);
HttpResponse response = client.execute(target, method, localContext);

Redirect response contains "HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily [Date: XXX,
Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat), Set-Cookie:
JSESSIONID=9DD78EDA4296273637AC8B0A16D665B5; Path=/myPath; Secure,
Set-Cookie: q=""; Expires=Thu, 01-Jan-1970 00:00:10 GMT; Path=/,
Location: [myLocation], Content-Length: 0, Connection: close,

However the Cookiestore is empty.

Think green - keep it on the screen.

and inform the sender. Thank you.