From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: NTLMv2 against sharepoint
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:35:24 GMT
On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 16:48 +0200, Stefan Huggenberger wrote:

> Am 20.07.2011 16:07, schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> > On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 15:32 +0200, Stefan Huggenberger wrote:
> >> Thanks Sam for the hints. It has to fail on the java side. A perl ntmlv2
> >> login works fine?!
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Stefan
> >>
> > The NTLM engine implementation used by HttpClient 4.1 is known to have
> > flaws. You may have better luck with JCIFS engine. For details see:
> >
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpclient/trunk/src/site/apt/ntlm.apt
> >
> > Oleg
> Thanks a lot Oleg. With the JCIFS implementation it works fine.
>
> But on the jcifs homepage is written: "IMPORTANT: All HTTP related code
> and corresponding documentation in JCIFS is not supported, no longer
> maintained and will be removed because it is broken and obsolete (and
> because HTTP has nothing to do with CIFS). This page remains only for
> informational purposes and for legacy users. "

Deprecation of the "HTTP related code" does not imply deprecation of the
NTLM engine itself. CIFS is still fully supported.

> Should I open a Bug in the apache httpclient project?

It is a known bug, but so far no one expressed any interest in fixing
it.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-1080

>  In my opinion it's
> better not to support NTLM or implement it correctly ;)

I, for one, would be very happy to discontinue support for NTLM

> It is written on
> the apache page, that NTLM is fully supported.

The problem was discovered after the last release and actually
HttpClient does fully support NTLM as far as the HTTP protocol is
concerned. You said it worked for you, did not you?

Having said all that, I'll see that the page gets updated with the 4.1.2
release.

Oleg