From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Where can I find were HttpClient handles the CONNECT tunneling through SSL
Date Sun, 03 Jul 2011 17:16:47 GMT
On Sat, 2011-07-02 at 17:35 +0000, Steve Labarbera wrote:
> I was using HTTPOClient for a while to handle all my HTTP request /responses. However,
I have recently needed to build my own client due to my need to send requests that did not
correctly URLEncode specified by RFC Standards. I'm creating a proxy and need to be able to
handle when the client "The browser" sends a CONNECT request. I was hoping to be able to look
at how HHTPClient does it to maybe help me figure it out. Does anyone know where exactly that
section of code lives? I looked httpclient\src\main\resources\java\org\apache\http\conn\ssl
but could not see anything?

> I'm having a very very hard time trying to handle this CONNECT request and have looked
all over the internet. This i'm hoping will be able to enlighten me as to how its handled.

> Regards,
>
> Steve

Hi Steve

Take a look at the DefaultRequestDirector [1] and #createTunnelToTarget
method in particular for a blocking (synchronous) implementation and at
the DefaultAsyncRequestDirector [2] for a non-blocking (asynchronous)
one.

Hope this helps

Oleg

PS: by the way, building an HTTP client from scratch is not an easy
task. You might be better off reusing HttpCore (or a similar HTTP
transport toolkit) for low level stuff.

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpclient/trunk/httpclient/src/main/java/org/apache/http/impl/client/DefaultRequestDirector.java
[2]