From "Vadheraju, Rajeshwar" <Rajeshwar.Vadher...@fisglobal.com>
Subject RE: Keep alive
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2011 19:11:16 GMT
Yes, agreed. I think it is good idea to implement "retry" and "idle
connection handler" as opposed to "keep alive strategy".
How did you implement or use idle connection thread? I am using xfire as
my soap framework which uses MultiThreadedConnectionManager internally,
not sure how to tell xfire to use or run "IdleConenction Thread"?

-----Original Message-----
From: Joan Balaguero [mailto:joan.balaguero@grupoventus.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:50 PM
To: Vadheraju, Rajeshwar
Cc: 'HttpClient User Discussion'
Subject: RE: Keep alive

Hi Raj,

In my case, I'm sending requests to "problematic" servers. By
"problematic"
I mean that they're abruptly closing the http sockets.

That's why I'm not interested in keeping alive my http connections for
so
many time, because after few seconds (~10 seconds), they will be
probably
closed on the server side.

In addition, it's also a good idea to implement an "IdleConnection
Handler"
to manage idle connections (and, in the same method, also call to
'closeExpiredConnections', recommendation made by Oleg to me some months
ago) and also a 'Retry' handler.

With this combination of strategies, you will minimize connection
problems
(like a 'Connection reset'), but you don't have to expect to solve the
problems completely. Using Http protocol, you ALWAYS will lose requests
due
to connection problems.

Regards,
Joan.