From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: NTLM authentication with a UPN instead of domain and user name
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2011 18:07:04 GMT
On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 17:47 +0000, Ron Jacobs wrote:
> I am using NTLM authentication and I find that when porting from 3.0.2
> to 4.1, I have several questions:
>
> 1) Authenticating with domain and user works but with a UPN (like
>    "user@domain.local") authentication fails although both authenticate
>    fine with my previous 3.0.2 code. Why does the UPN-style not work?

HttpClient 4.1 has a completely new NTML engine contributed by an
external project. Apparently it does not work with UPN style user names.
You may want to try out JCIFS based NTLM engine and see if it works
better.

> 2) How should I set credentials for NTLM where there is no domain, like
>    when using the UPN form? NTCredentials with domain "" or null, or
>    UsernamePasswordCredentials? I have tried various combinations
>    without success.

As far as I understand if it is a standalone workstation the domain
should be same as the the workstation name.

> 3) I am accessing a web service from outside the NT domain so I have no
>    workstation name for the 3rd parameter to the NTCredentials
>    constructor. I have tried passing null, "", or "somejunk" without
>    success.

Again, my knowledge of MS Windows networking is awfully outdated, but as
far as I remember there is _always_ an authentication domain of some
sort. In the simplest form the workstation can act as its own auth
domain.

Anyhow it has been ages since I touches anything called Windows

> 4) The NTCredentials constructor seems happy to set workstation to null
>    but I find that when it is null a NullPointerException is thrown from
>    somewhere within your NTLM code.

Feel free to raise a JIRA for this defect.

Oleg