From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Slowness of 4.1
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2011 20:52:37 GMT
On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 09:20 -0800, Tony Anecito wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Where can I find the client side code for this test? I think I found it once
> before and discovered the way the response times were calculated were incorrect.
> What I saw indicated your test results were divideing the number of requests
> into the time it took for all of them to complete when the tests were run in
> parallel so it made it look like the requests were faster than they really were.
> It was like taking ten 100ms requests run in parallel and getting 10ms per
> request when in reality it was 100ms.

I did see your remarks about the benchmark on the tomcat user list.

(1) the benchmark tries to closely simulate Apache Bench (ab), which is
a well established and widely used tool for performance measurement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ApacheBench

(2) the benchmark is not intended to calculate 'real-life' or 'accurate'
response time, whatever that means. The purpose of the benchmark is to
provide a _baseline_ for a comparative performance analysis and is
intended to give a _rough_ indication as to whether an HTTP client A
faster than an client HTTP, or whether data throughput increased or
decreased after particular set of changes.

That is it.

Having said all that you are very welcome to suggest improvements to the
benchmark or a more accurate algorithm for calculating performance
numbers.

Oleg