From Frazer Irving <frazer.irvi...@bbc.co.uk>
Subject Non-blocking file upload
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2011 11:05:30 GMT
Hi,

I have a requirement to upload a file, and to have the transfer of data
be interrupted in the event of the server responding with an error. My
code looks like:

             MimetypesFileTypeMap mime = new MimetypesFileTypeMap();
             request = new PostMethod(url);

             MonitoredRequestEntity ent = new MonitoredRequestEntity(
                     stream, file.length(), mime.getContentType(file),
listener);
             request.setRequestEntity(ent);
             int status = 0;
             try {
                 status = httpClient.executeMethod(request);
             } catch (Exception e) {
                 if (!request.isAborted()) {
                     logger.error("http post failed for job {}", jobId, e);
                     listener.setStatus(new UploadStatus().setFailed());
                 }
                 return;
             }
             if (status != HttpStatus.SC_ACCEPTED && status !=
HttpStatus.SC_OK) {
                 throw new
MuseException(request.getStatusLine().toString());
             }

It seems that the call to executeMethod is blocking until the entire
body of the RequestEntity has been written to the server before
processing the response. Is there a way to have the response processed
earlier? The files in question are very large and I would like to avoid
the transfer if possible.

I am using MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager to manage connections if
that affects things.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/
This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are
not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify
the sender immediately.