From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpClient4.0.3 performance problem, much slower than HttpClient3.1?
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2010 09:03:28 GMT
On Tue, 2010-12-28 at 16:33 +0800, 世涛 wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I'm considering to update HttpClient3.1 to HttpClient4.0.3 in my new project, and I must
be sure that system speed will not be slower.
> So I did some tests, but I found that Httpclient4's performance is not as good as HttpClient3.1.
>
> In my test, I use two Linux servers(A and B, both 8-core CPU, 1.5G memory) in the same
LAN.
> There is Apache2.2 installed on Server-B, and Server-B acts as a static web server.
> And Server-A runs test programs based on HttpClient, the test is to finish 1000 requests
to Server-B sequentially.

> Surprisingly, the time that HttpClient4.0.3 used is almost twice as HttpClient3.1.
>
> My test-code is very simple, just the basic classes and methods.
>
> Anybody has ever done the similar test before? Is the result normal or I did some thing
wrong? 3x!

> ------
> Best regards,
> stone

(1) 1000 requests is simply not enough to draw any meaningful conclusion
about performance of an HTTP client.

(2) Make sure to turn off the stale connection check, which has a major
performance impact on small requests

In my tests HttpClient 4.x turns out to be 30% to 200% faster than
HttpClient 3.1 depending on the number of concurrent execution threads

http://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/HttpClient3vsHttpClient4vsHttpCore

You can find the source code of the benchmark here. Feel free to run it
against your servers to see if you get similar results

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpclient/trunk/httpclient-benchmark/

Oleg