From Javier Ramos <jram...@gmail.com>
Subject HttpCore/HttpClient services integration in a J2EE Servlet container
Date Sat, 13 Nov 2010 10:30:30 GMT
Hello,

I am currently using HttpClient 3.1 inside a servlet that needs to retrieve
XML content from several webs, which must be a very common need.

I am thinking of moving my code  to HttpCore or HttpClient 4.

Before I make the transition I am researching for best practices using
HttpCore or HttpClient inside a servlet container.

I came up with the idea that it would be good to have a managed http client
service inside the J2EE container, in such a way that the applications could
get a client via JNDI lookup, in a similar way as they get connections from
a database connection pool. Ideally, from the J2EE console or from another
webapp, it would be nice to be able to monitor and administrate HTTP
connections to the different hosts: setup connection parameters for
different hosts at runtime, block slow performing hosts...

Does anybody know if there is any J2EE container offering such capabilities
?
Or some product / webapp that extends J2EE capabilities in such a way ?

Thanks,

Javier Ramos