From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpCore/HttpClient services integration in a J2EE Servlet container
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2010 14:18:24 GMT
On Mon, 2010-11-15 at 13:21 +0100, Javier Ramos wrote:
> Thanks for your feedback, Oleg
>
> We are doing with just a servlet container (Tomcat)

My apologies, Javier. I mis-interpreted the subject of your message and
assumed you were using a full-blown J2EE application server.

> I guess that to follow your recommendation with minimal changes to our
> productive environment we would have to try OpenEJB.
> Using ThreadSafeClientConnManager inside a servlet container is also
> discouraged, right ?

There is absolutely no need to drag in OpenEJB with all its dependencies
just to maintain a pool of HTTP connections. I do not think the Servlet
specification imposes any restrictions on thread synchronization in the
web tier components.

> Is anybody using such configurations, or is willing to drop a comment ? (
> Tomcat + OpenEJB + HttpClient, or Tomcat + ThreadSafeClientConnManager )

I have used HttpClient 3 and HttpClient 4 with a pooling connection
manager inside various servlet containers such as Tomcat and WebLogic
without any issues.

Oleg