From "Stephen J. Butler" <stephen.but...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why doesn't httpclient follow redirects on this URL?
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2010 20:16:13 GMT
On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Jim <jiminoc@gmail.com> wrote:
> Stephen is there a way to issue a GET without bringing back the actual HTML
> content? My main goal is just to get the final URL of what the link is and
> bringing back all the content will slow things down quite a bit.

Depends on what your application is. If you're always hitting Google
first, you could set ClientPNames.HANDLE_REDIRECTS to false, send
Google GET, do the redirect yourself, and then the redirect URL HEAD.

The risk is that whatever information you hope to get from HEAD isn't
correct. We've already seen one case where it fails. I have to say
that in all the webapps I've written, I don't think I've once thought
about HEAD requests.