From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Downloading partial content in HttpClient 4
Date Thu, 26 Aug 2010 08:33:00 GMT
On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 16:06 -0600, Todd Wilson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm transitioning from HttpClient 3 to 4.  I believe I've done all of
> the necessary translations except for downloading a partial response.
> For example, there are cases where the server response may be very
> large, but I'm only interested in the first 50K or so.  In HttpClient 3
> I handled this with ContentLengthInputStream, which basically took an
> InputStream and the number of bytes to be read.  Nice and easy.  In
> HttpClient 4 it's probably equally easy, but I can't figure out just how
> to go about it.  The new version of ContentLengthInputStream (found in
> HttpComponents Core) takes a SessionInputBuffer, in addition to the
> number of bytes to be read.  The trouble is, I can't figure out how to
> generate a SessionInputBuffer out of an InputStream (or something like
> it) that I might get from the response entity.  Any tips on how to go
> about what I'm describing?

You could extend the AbstractSessionInputBuffer and make it work with
any arbitrary input stream, but I think that would be an overkill if all
you want is to limit the number of bytes readable from an input stream.

You will probably be much better off coping and customizing the old
class from HttpClient 3.x

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/oac.hc3x/trunk/src/java/org/apache/commons/httpclient/ContentLengthInputStream.java

You might also consider contributing it to Apache Commons IO. I was
pretty surprised to not have found a similar class in Commons IO

Hope this helps

Oleg