From "KARR, DAVID (ATTSI)" <dk0...@att.com>
Subject Is it possible that HttpClient might use more packets under load than not under load?
Date Mon, 26 Jul 2010 20:13:27 GMT
I'm still struggling to understand the infrequent occurrence of service
calls in our system that take well past the "socket timeout" value that
we set for the transaction.  I know that the "socket timeout" is PER
PACKET, not PER TRANSACTION.

One thing I'm wondering is whether the sizes of packets could be
variable.  For instance, will I end up with smaller packets when the
server is heavily loaded, as opposed to larger packet sizes under normal
load?

Also, I know HttpClient's socket timeout is set internally at a pretty
low level, but when the server is heavily loaded, is there any chance
that the code that monitors and disconnects expired connections could be
"starved" and fail to promptly disconnect the expired connection?  I
imagine this "code" isn't even in HttpClient, but I'm just looking for
possible answers.