From "Brooks, Kenneth S" <kenneth.s.bro...@chase.com>
Subject RE: httpclient performance
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2010 16:07:59 GMT

> There is no need to turn on full wire logging, which is very noisy and
> expensive. Only context logging should be enough.
>
> http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-4.0.1/logging.html

[[-KenBrooks-]]
Understood.. yeah I would turn it on with only context logging.. I was just explaining why
I had it completely off before. :)
I'm building the 4.1 trunk (so that it includes the illegal state fix) and I'll then run it
with context logging and hopefully shoot that across here later today.

> > Are there interceptors (like the cookie interceptors) that I can
> disable for authentication & state management?
> > That would at least be a good test that circumventing client and going
> to core might make a difference.

[[-KenBrooks-]]
Browsing around I see that in 4.1 (instead of 4.0.X) there are a few more interceptors.. like
RequestAuthCache..

> Most of the overhead is added by DefaultRequestDirector which cannot be
> easily removed. One possibility would be to use a simplified custom
> implementation of RequestDirector to execute requests with minimal
> overhead, but this would be hardly any different than using HttpCore
> directly.
>
> Here's a simple benchmark which can be used to compare performance of
> HttpCore and HttpClient
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/HttpClient3vsHttpClient4vsHttpCore

[[-KenBrooks-]]
I ran across this over the weekend.. Mostly was focused on httpclient3 vs. httpclient4 because
at first I wasn't sure if the overhead was a result of us upgrading from 3.1 to 4.0.1. Now
that you mention possibly using HttpCore it sheds new light on those metrics..

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions..

-k

under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  Although this transmission and
any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other
defect that might affect any computer system into which it is
received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to
ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by
JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as
applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
 If you received this transmission in error, please immediately
contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety,