From samcrawf...@gmail.com
Subject Re: Redirect on POST with a custom redirect handler?
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2010 23:25:44 GMT
If you know/control the behaviour of the target server you can use the expect-continue handshake
(google for it). HttpClient supports this.

If not, I'd disable following of redirects (which will result in a GET, as you rightly say)
and write a small bit of code to capture the response code and loop until we got a 200 (or
a limit was reached).

Thanks

Sam

-----Original Message-----
From: Josh Gordineer <joshgord@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 16:14:21
To: <httpclient-users@hc.apache.org>
Subject: Redirect on POST with a custom redirect handler?

I'm looking for a way to handle a redirect on POST, obviously HttpClient
doesn't handle them automatically.

"HttpClient handles all types of redirects automatically, except those
explicitly prohibited by the HTTP specification as requiring user
intervention. See Other (status code 303) redirects on POST and PUT requests
are converted to GET requests as required by the HTTP specification."

http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client/tutorial/html/httpagent.html#d4e1199

The above states that the requests are automatically converted to GETs.  I
was wondering if that logic to convert the requests to GETs exists in a
place where I can customize such as a custom RedirectHandler or is the best
approach to turn off automatic redirects and write custom logic to handle
each redirect response?

Thanks in advance..

--Josh