From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Performance
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2010 19:35:55 GMT
On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 11:20 -0400, Brooks, Kenneth S wrote:
> Oleg..
>
> *       Here is the wire error and context debug.
> o       From my end I made 3 service calls, (which translates into 4 total calls because
the very first call is to create a security token to be reused on subsequent requests).
> o       Before I start asking questions let me know what you are seeing in here and your
thoughts.

I am seeing nothing that might suggest an obvious performance related
problem. Once a connection has been established request / response
exchanges are almost instantaneous (~10 ms)

> *       Also, in a separate exercise I changed over from httpclient to httpcore.
> o       That made almost no difference in response times.
> o       Prior to the changeover I had upgraded to httpclient from trunk and had disabled
a bunch of interceptors (cookies, proxy, authcache) as well as turned off the stale checking
so I think httpclient was running about as thin as I could make it.
> o       Definitely did not see a 40% increase in performance tho..

I am fairly confident about this number. If you are not registering any
performance improvement this basically tell me that one of two things
are likely to be true

(1) the overhead of HTTP protocol processing is negligible compared to
the time spent transmitting and processing message content.
(2) the problem is on the server side. Response latency is much greater
than the overhead of HTTP protocol processing.

The client side HTTP does not appears to be the performance hot spot. I
_suspect_ you are optimizing the wrong component.

Oleg