From Sam Crawford <samcrawf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Load balancer and Connection pool
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2010 20:51:13 GMT
Hard to say, as it could be load balancer configuration or your
client. Here's what I would do: Monitor traffic with tcpdump from the
perspective of the host running F1-F6. See what happens to the TCP
connections from the load balancer when you shut one of the backend
servers down. Does the load balancer send back a RST packet to all of
the established connections from F1-F6, or does it only issue a RST
for connections that are connected to the dead server?

If the load balancer sends a RST to all connections, then clearly
you've got a problem with the load balancer configuration. If not,
then it must be the client side. It'd be tempting to assume that a
reset connection from one backend effectively reset all connections in
the pool on the client side, but that's not the case with HttpClient
in my experience. Your best bet may be to post your code (or a cut
down version of it) and we'll try to help out.

Thanks,

Sam