From KaiserSose <cbert...@libero.it>
Subject Re: Load balancer and Connection pool
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2010 20:50:30 GMT

Sam Crawford wrote:

> I don't see anything glaringly wrong there. What's HttpManagerCleaner
> by the way? I assume this is some peripheral thread that cleans up
> idle connections? Is this based upon IdleConnectionEvictor that Oleg
> has posted here?

Yes it's the peripheral Thread ...

However I was talking to some colleagues today and we where discussing about
the "usefulness" of pooling connections when there is a Load Balancer in the
middle. The pool should be used in order to keep a "channel" open and to
reuse a connection.

Now if any frontend contacts the load balancer and the load balancer put the
calling frontend in communication with one of the servers behind him I will
have the situation in which the pooled connection will be directly from the
frontend to one of the servers, right? Now let's imagine this server fall
down, what happens to my pooled connections to this server? The load
balancer won't be called again right?

As far as my component tips are to come back to the previous situation in
which there is no pool and each connection won't be reused ... if I don't
use anymore the ThreadSafeClientConnectionManager() should I call everytime
the abort after having consumed the content on every get/post operation?

Do you think it's stupid to think to an architecture with a pool and a load
balancer?

Best regards and thanks all for your time