From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: intermittent issues with HC 3.1 on Windows loopback
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:29:07 GMT
On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 00:52 -0700, Paul Brown wrote:
> I'm seeing odd issues with HC 3.1 on Windows.  The symptom is that the receiving server
will intermittently report a chunking error.  Background on the scenario:

> - JDK 1.6 u20, 32-bit Windows
> - HC 3.1 used by SolrJ for ingest from one application deployed as a WAR to Solr deployed
as a WAR running in the same web container
> - Tried with Jetty 7.1.3 and with Tomcat 6.0.26.
>
> The Tomcat exception is "Invalid chunk header", and the Jetty exception is "bad chunk
char: ...".

> The same code appears to work perfectly off of Windows, e.g., on Mac OS X.
>
> I have wire traces from some of the failures, and the chunking and counts all look to
be in order.

> I'm going to turn chunking off, but I'd still like to know what's happening to cause
the error.  Anyone else seen similar behavior or dealt with it successfully?

> Thanks.
>
> -- Paul

Paul
We have not had a confirmed case of data corruption by HttpClient for
many years. The trouble is we no longer support HttpClient 3.1, so I
personally doubt anyone would be willing to invest time and effort into
investigating the problem. It is generally recommended to upgrade to HC
4.0.

Oleg