From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject RE: stale connection
Date Wed, 12 May 2010 18:47:22 GMT
On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 22:04 -0400, Brooks, Kenneth S wrote:
> We are doing serialization over http..
> This means that 100% of our calls will *not* be idempotent..
>
> I don't see how we can avoid the stale check.
> Are you saying that NoHttpResponseException is __always__ safe to retry?

Yes, it is

> I can't take the risk of having a transaction submitted twice..

You have that risk _anyways_ unless your application _never_ attempts to
re-execute a failed request.

HTTP is not a transactional transport. In complex network setups It can
also happen that the client gets an I/O error, even if the message has
been successfully received and processed by the target server.

You basically have two options: tolerate loss of messages or be prepared
to handle multiple message submissions.

If your application cannot take action upon the same message twice, the
only possibility I personally can think of is the use of an unique
identifier per request message.

Oleg