From Josh Gordineer <joshg...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Fw: SOCKS proxy example??
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2010 20:48:40 GMT
Thanks John!  So from this configuration it looks like there is no way to control socks proxy
setting on a per request basis through HttpClient?  We have a scenario where we let users
give proxy configuration information to our system, and we in turn make an HTTP request on
their behalf, therefore we can't make a system-wide property setting since we don't know what
proxies the user will provide.

Previously in the JDK implementation we were doing:

    Proxy.Type type;
    String scheme = # User input;
    if (scheme != null && scheme.equalsIgnoreCase("socks")) {
      type = Proxy.Type.SOCKS;
    } else {
      type = Proxy.Type.HTTP;
    }

    String host = # User input
    int port = # User input

    InetSocketAddress address = new InetSocketAddress(host, port);
    return new Proxy(type, address);

Then pass that proxy into the httpurlconnection for URI:

    URL u = new URL("http://www.somewhere.com/hidden");
    HttpURLConnection ucon = (HttpURLConnection) u.openConnection(p);

Now it appears we don't have that option in HttpClient?

Thanks again for the help!

--Josh