From "Brooks, Kenneth S" <kenneth.s.bro...@chase.com>
Subject Thread to inspect active connections
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2010 20:32:23 GMT
We are facing an issue where a connection to a server is made, the request is sent, the server
sends the response and the client never sees the request.
Ultimately we get a socket timeout because httpclient eventually gives up on that request.

The big problem we have is that this only happens about once every couple of million requests
over a 12 hour period (and not consistently).

What we would like to do is increase the connection timeout to something ridiculously long
and put some sort of a watcher thread on the client side that can sort of do what the IdleConnectionTimeoutThread
is doing.
But instead of just calling the connectionManager.closeIdleConnections(connectionTimeout);
we would like to interrogate each open connection to see how  long it has been active.
If it has been active for longer than our idleconnection timeout (currently 20 seconds) then
we can perform some action..
So lets say that if it was active for 1 minute then we would be able to know the issue is
happening and do something (like take thread dumps).

Without doing that, we only know about the problem *after* it has happened and the socket
timeout has already been thrown..

That does me no good.. I want to see inside of the VM *as* its happening.

Any thoughts on how to do this?

-k

under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  Although this transmission and
any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other
defect that might affect any computer system into which it is
received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to
ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by
JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as
applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
 If you received this transmission in error, please immediately
contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety,