From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: handling URISyntaxException
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:33:42 GMT
niv seker wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using httpclient for an application that download pages of urls that
> appear in RSS feeds.
> Httpclient is using java.net.URI, which in many cases is too strict for the
> world in which he lives in.
> URIs such as:
> http://gizmodo.com/5479150/youtube-pulls-the-original-rickroll-video-spurring-inevitable-wave-of-protest-rickrolls-[updated]
> ,
> http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/wall-street's-memo-to-meredith-whitney:-you're-so-2009-399286.html?tickers=
> ^dji,^gspc,gs,dia,spy,xlf,skf
> are considered illegal and causes URISyntaxException to be thrown when
> trying to create URI out of them.
> This kind of urls are in common use and can be successfully handled/visited
> by popular web browsers.

HttpClient 3.1 has its own URI API, which literally NO one was willing
to work with and to maintain. This was the reason why it was not ported
to 4.0 and replaced with the java URI implementation.

> I was thinking on using a method that encodes all of the chars that are not
> encoded, but there will still be a problem if the uri redirects to a uri
> that is not legal.
> (something like the toURI method in
> http://www.java2s.com/Code/Java/Network-Protocol/URIutilities.htm)
>
> Is there any workaround for this issue?
> Is there any kind of way to specify a URIResolver object that will help
> httpClient handling this illegal urls?

I think it would be possible to provide a custom parser / factory for
URI objects, which is more lenient than the standard one. However, as
far as I am concerned this is a very low priority issue. Having said all
that, if such a feature comes as a contribution to the project, I will
happily incorporate it into the official code line. There is already a
JIRA ticket for this feature:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-900

Oleg