From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Large number of connections with Multithreaded Connection Manager problem
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2010 23:04:38 GMT
loub wrote:
> Hi -,
> We are using Apache HttpClient 3.1, with the Multi Threaded Http Connection
> Manager to send >1000 HTTP POST messages per second, to 4 test servers (in
> our test environment) using trusted persistent connections. This setup has
> been soaked for over 72 hours and we found it to function as expected.
> The Connection Manager is configured with the following:
> closeIdleConnections = 180 seconds
> MaxConnectionsPerHost= 1000
> MaxConnections= 2100
>
> ConnectionTimeout= 500 milli seconds
> SoTimeout=2000 milli seconds
> The HTTP POST messages are distributed to each test server using a simple
> round robin algorithm. In reasonably steady state conditions, the client
> establishes about 100 separate connections to each test server.
>
> If while repeating the above test, one of the 4 test servers is taken
> offline for say one second; we observe that all of the connections managed
> by the Connection Manager tend to fail within just a few seconds.

I personally find this somewhat hard to believe and see no reason why
connections to remaining servers should fail.

If you are absolutely sure all of the connections managed by HttpClient
fail, and no suspiciously looking little green men have been spotted
messing with your computer, please provide a wire log of the HTTP
session exhibiting the problem.

Please also consider upgrading to HttpClient 4.0, as HttpClient 3.1 is
nearing end of life and is effectively unsupported.

3.1:
http://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/logging.html

4.0:
http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client/logging.html