From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Error using import org.apache.commons.httpclient.*
Date Sun, 07 Mar 2010 15:52:38 GMT
On 07/03/2010, HughT <nadinemoacdieh@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hmmm... Well, the error disappeared for the time being, which is why I
>  assumed that it worked. So I take it I should remove HTTPClient 4.1-alpha1,
>  most probably... Thanks once more.

I meant that you don't need all the jars.

>  Seems working with Apache is going to more complicated than I thought.

Working with any library that is not in the standard Java release is
going to require similar research to find out what dependencies are
needed.

>  All I
>  want is to be able to login to a website using a username and password and
>  then do whatever I want in the site (click buttons, write messages, etc.),
>  all through Java code.

That's potentially a lot of work.
But it would be a lot of work with the standard Java classes as well.

>  I searched a lot and found that HTTPClient is the best for this kind of
>  stuff. Am I mistaken in this respect?

No.

> Is there a better way?

That depends on what you are ultimately trying to achieve.

For example:

Are you trying to learn HTTP programming?
Are you trying to test a website?
Automate some process?

> [...]
>  > application.
>  >
>  > Note the HC 4.1 is not compatible with HC 3.1.
>  >
>  > Code for 3.1 needs to be rewritten to use 4.1 - they have different
>  > package names and different architecture.
>  >
>  > On 07/03/2010, HughT <nadinemoacdieh@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>  Thanks for all your help! It works now, I looked up the page you
>  >> suggested
>  >>  and turns out I still needed commons-codec, httpcore,
>  >>  commons-httpclient-3.1, and http-client-4.1-alpha1. Thanks again.
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>  sebb-2-2 wrote:
>  >>  >
>  >>  > On 07/03/2010, HughT <nadinemoacdieh@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  Hello,
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  I'm new to Apache and I'm trying to use HttpClient in Java, but
just
>  >>  >> can't
>  >>  >>  seem to be able to get the right jar file for some reason. I keep
>  >>  >> getting an
>  >>  >>  error that the package org.apache.commons.httpclient does not exist.
>  >> I
>  >>  >>  downloaded almost every related jar file I could find, but it is
>  >> still
>  >>  >> not
>  >>  >>  working. These are the jar files I have so far:
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  commons-email-1.2
>  >>  >>  httpclient-4.0.1
>  >>  >>  httpmime-4.0.1
>  >>  >
>  >>  > You also need
>  >>  >
>  >>  > commons-codec
>  >>  > httpcore
>  >>  >
>  >>  > see:
>  >>  >
>  >>  >
>  >> http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client/httpclient/dependencies.html
>  >>  >
>  >>  >>  activation
>  >>  >>  dsn
>  >>  >>  imap
>  >>  >>  mailapi
>  >>  >>  pop3
>  >>  >>  smtp
>  >>  >>  mail
>  >>  >>  commons-email-javadoc/sources
>  >>  >>  commons-logging-...
>  >>  >>  commons-collections-...
>  >>  >>  commons-net-2.0-...
>  >>  >>  jakarta-oro-2.0
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  I'm sure many of these are absolutely useless, but I was growing
>  >>  >> desperate.
>  >>  >>  I just need to import org.apache.commons.httpclient.* into Java.
If