From Ken Krugler <kkrugler_li...@transpac.com>
Subject Re: HttpClient Reset
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2010 23:01:51 GMT
I haven't used HttpClient 3.1 for a while now, so I'm not up on the
typical connection management problems.

I don't think that two threads will share the same connection. If the
server happens to close a connection in between requests, and the
connection is being reused (which is typical) then socket exceptions
can and do happen. E.g. if somebody tweaked the server config to
reduce the keep-alive time, then you'd start seeing an increased
number of these.

You could turn on wire logging, and try to capture a trace of what
happens during one of these exceptions.

-- Ken

PS - With HC 4.0, all of my connection management issues were my
fault, in the end :)

On Mar 23, 2010, at 3:20pm, Mohit Anchlia wrote:

> We are using httpclient in tomcat. We do several requests per sec.
> Recently we started to see increasing number of "reset" execptions.
> For some reason I am starting to think that it could be because of how
> HttpClient is handling "closeIdleConnections". It looks like there
> could be a timing issue. For eg: Request A got connect x1 but some
> other thread that executed closeIdleConnections got rid of x1. Now
> when Request A tried to execute x1 it got reset. Has anyone seen any
> such problem before? Only other option would be to grab netstat and
> tcpdump as a last resort.
>
> ----
> java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
>        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:168)
>        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:
> 218)
>        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:
> 235)
>        at
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpParser.readRawLine(Unknown Source)
>        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpParser.readLine(Unknown
> Source)
>        at
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.readLine(Unknown Source)
>        at
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager
> $HttpConnectionAdapter.readLine(Unknown
> Source)
>        at
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.readStatusLine(Unknown
> Source)
>        at
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.readResponse(Unknown
> Source)
>        at
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.execute(Unknown Source)
>        at
> org
> .apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeWithRetry(Unknown
> Source)
>        at
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeMethod(Unknown
> Source)
>        at
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(Unknown
> Source)
>        at
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(Unknown
> Source)
> ---
>
> On server side we don't see such a request coming in.

Which I think is expected, if the server has closed the connection and
that's why you're getting this exception.

> Server side seem
> to have enough capacity

I'd check the keep-alive settings for the server.

> and these errors have occurred even during non
> busy hours. I am suspecting something to do with how keep alive is
> being handled.

Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378
http://bixolabs.com