From Jeff Davis <j...@FlyingDiamond.com>
Subject Re: I am having issues logging into a website and retrieving the source of the page after login
Date Sat, 13 Feb 2010 23:13:08 GMT
Hi Robert,

The usual practice for this kind of task is to use a packet sniffer and
compare the actual data that is transmitted across the wire when you use
a browser and the same when your application runs, then see what is
different.  Wireshark (www.*wireshark*.org) works well for this if the
login page is not ssl, the firebug plugin for firefox gives some of this
information, and there are other great products as well.

Generally many 3rd party sites use various tricks to thwart automated
logins so you might have to follow some redirects, parse some .js,
etc...  In short you have to make your java application behave exactly
like a browser would, and the best way is to watch exactly what the
browser does.

If you come up with a specific need, with cookies, or setting header
settings and need help implementing that with http-client you will get
plenty of help.

I didn't get the attached zip so I couldn't really look into anything
further, and even then your best bet is to seek out the information you
need using the tips above.

Best of luck,
Jeff