From "KARR, DAVID (ATTCINW)" <dk0...@att.com>
Subject RE: Any up-to-date comparison of HttpClient vs. HttpUrlConnection?
Date Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:01:57 GMT
HttpUrlConnection?

> Every once in a while, informal discussions come up about the
> advantages
> of HttpClient vs. HttpUrlConnection.  Is there an up to date version
of
> that comparison, so someone could review it point by point?  There are
> old versions of this, like at
> <http://www.innovation.ch/java/HTTPClient/urlcon_vs_httpclient.html>,
> but that's so old, it's not even fair. :)

To spur some more discussion:

Isn't "preemptive auth" a feature that is impossible or impractical with
HttpUrlConnection?  In the past, I found one situation where the server
I was connecting to implemented the protocol incorrectly, and using
preemptive auth resolved the issue.

I seem to remember reading an article about using SSL to a server that's
signed with a self-signed certificate.  This wouldn't work with
HttpUrlConnection, but the article described the configuration steps for
HttpClient to do this.

What functions does HttpUrlConnection still require using system
properties for, which HttpClient provides on an instance basis?  I know
that HttpUrlConnection used to require use of system properties for the
read and connection timeouts, although that difference was eliminated in
JDK 1.5.