From Andrew Thorburn <nzi...@gmail.com>
Subject [4.0] How does HttpClient handle 'Unexpected end of file from server' errors?
Date Sun, 11 Oct 2009 23:46:04 GMT
I'm currently using some legacy code which sends/receives XML from one
of our partners. While this normally works just fine, we've recently
been getting errors of the form "java.net.SocketException: Unexpected
end of file from server". I have no idea why they're occurring, and I
haven't been able to duplicate them in my testing environment. Now,
while I'd like to migrate to HttpClient (or something. Anything's
better than what we have now...), I first need to know what it does in
the case of this type of error. Does it throw an exception? Or does it
attempt to retry the request with some (configurable?) number of
attempts? Or something entirely different?

I would just put in some code and test, but I haven't been able to
replicate the error in one of our test environments, and the only one
which is showing them is a client-facing one (not Production, but
close).

Also, while I'm on the subject, if anyone can suggest to me how to
create this sort of error (I'm running Ubuntu 9.04) so I can check how
well our program handles them. Wouldn't solve the problem, but at
least I'd have something to test against...

Many thanks,

- Andrew Thorburn