From Rutuja Joshi <Rutuja.Jo...@Sun.COM>
Subject Question regarding the redirects
Date Tue, 08 Sep 2009 21:18:38 GMT
Hello,

I am working on the application which fetches HTTP contents given the
URL. If there is any redirection from the original URL, I need to find
out what's the destination URL from which the contents are going to be
fetched eventually. Then depending on the predefined criterion I would
like to determine if the contents should be fetched from the final
destination or not.

For example, when I use HttpClient to fetch contents from URL:
http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/login!withRedirect.jspa

The request gets automatically redirected to
 https://auth.opensolaris.org/login.action?targetUrl=http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/message.jspa?messageID=219909
and HttpClient returns the html contents from https://auth.opensolaris....

Based on the return code value from method.execute() call I have no way
to know that this happened. The return code is 200 (HttpStatus.SC_OK).

I have two questions as follows:
1> Is there any way to know that this  redirect happened ?
2> Can I control redirects completely? Meaning, is there any way to tell
HttpClient to not to fetch content from the new URL but just let the
calling method know what this new URL is?

Please note setting method.followRedirects() to true or false did not
alter the behavior. Irrespective of setting this flag to false, the HTML
contents were fetched from https://auth.opensolaris....

Thanks in advance!
Rutuja