From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Use of HttpEntity.getContentLength()
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2009 09:38:59 GMT
On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 04:03:34PM -0700, Ken Krugler wrote:
> In the ClientAbortMethod.java example, there's a call made to
> entity.getContentLength()
>
> Previously I was getting the first content-length header and parsing
> that to extract the length, but I switched to using this call.
>
> However my integration tests then all started failing, as this call
> would return -1 in all the cases I walked through in the debugger.
>
> So two questions:
>
> 1. When would it make sense to use this call?

To get a hint what content length might be. For instance, if the content length
is positive and is relatively small, one may be better off reading the content
body to the end; if the content length is unknown one may want to simply abort
the request at the expense of not reusing the underlying connection.

> 2. Is the sample code wrong, or is there something I'm doing in my code
> that could cause the -1 result in all cases?

I do not think there is anything wrong with the example. If content is chunk
coded its length is simply cannot be determined until it is fully consumed. It
this case HttpEntity#getContentLength() return -1.

Hope this helps

Oleg