From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [HttpClient] HttpClient 4.0-rc2
Date Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:59:23 GMT
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 01:07:35AM +0100, sebb wrote:
>  > Pressed send too soon:
>  >
>  > SSLSocketFactory is not inherently thread-safe, because of the
>  > [gs]etHostNameVerifier() methods.
>  > Is there a need to change the HostNameVerifier after construction, or
>  > could the verifier be provided to the ctor? Alternatively, perhaps the
>  > field could be made volatile?
>  >
>  >

> I see no good reason for changing hostname verifier after construction. Feel free to
make the variable final and deprecate the setter.

Huh? There cannot be a setter if the field is final ...

If the field is made final, the only solution is to add the verifier
to all the constructors.
This means adding some new constructors with the extra field.

Which I am happy to do, but is a bit messy now

==

If the class is constructed and the setHNV() method is called just
once, then the instance can be safely passed to a newly created
thread, because Thread.start() acts as a common synch. lock between
the two threads.

However, if the instance is passed to an existing thread, there may be
no common synch. lock involved, and the value of any non-final fields
may not be published correctly.

I'm not sure how the class is intended to be used, so I'm not sure if
this is a reasonable approach for the class.