From "Oz Levanon" <Oz.Leva...@mobixell.com>
Subject Connection Reset as a Proxy
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:34:11 GMT
Hi.

I'm writing a server that acts as an HTTP Proxy, and I connect to the
web using HttpClient (version 3.1)

>From time to time I'm experiencing "Connection Reset" from the web. I
guess this is because I try to reuse connections I have from previous
requests, and (because too much time has passed), the website close the
TCP connection, or some NAT dropped the TCP connection.

My question is how should I solve the problem in HTTP Client?

1.       Should I set the sockets to work in keepAlive, maintaining the
TCP connection? If so, how can I do that (I only found setSoTimeout
methods, not setKeepAlive, and I can't access the socket itself, since
the getSocket() method in HttpConnection are protected)?

2.       Should I avoid using the same connection to a website as a
proxy for different clients? If so, how can I do that (I'm using
MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager and it has no knowledge of the
clients contacting me)?

3.       Should I add a retry handler for such cases (and will it slow
things down)?

4.       Can I set some "session timeout" so that a socket will not
outlive a preset duration (that way I can set a number low enough for
any NATs on the way)?

5.       Anything else?

Thanks in advance,

Oz