From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 4.0 client performance?
Date Fri, 22 May 2009 08:39:48 GMT
On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 02:28:40PM -0700, Pankaj Gupta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there is 4.0 equivalent of
>
> http://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/performance.html

I'll port the document to the new API at some point of time. There is not
really much one needs to tweak HttpClient 4.0 for optimal performance save
disabling stale connection checking. So, this is not really pressing.

> especially the equivalent in 4.0 of
> 1. Response streaming

Have a look at the 'HTTP entity' section of the tutorial

http://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/HttpClientTutorial

> 2. Cookie processing (how do I ignore cookies in 4.0 as I do not see a
> CookiePolicy.IGNORE_COOKIES? )

One can disable cookie processing by removing RequestAddCookies and
ResponseProcessCookies interceptors from the protocol processing chain.

> Some syntax in the 3.x seem to be outdated now, so it will be great to
> hear from other users what has worked for them in terms of increasing
> performance.

If performance is an overriding concern for your application, consider using
HttpCore. HttpCore should be up 20 to 30% faster than HttpClient 4.0,
HttpClient 3.1 or Sun's HTTP JRE. Here is the benchmark you can use to verify
the numbers

http://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/HttpClient3vsHttpClient4vsHttpCore

Oleg