From Richard Jones <rich...@symplectic.co.uk>
Subject mime-boundary headers
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2009 15:09:13 GMT
Hi Folks,

Apologies if this is a newbie question; I'm a long time user of
httpclient for basic purposes, but am being stumped this week by a more
difficult requirement, and wonder if anyone can help.

I need to assemble a multi-part request, consisting of some normal http
headers, an xml document in the first mime-part, and a binary document
in the second mime-part.  I need to augment the mime-parts with their
own http headers, also; specifically a Content-Type declaration and a
Content-Disposition header for each one (which I believe is allowed by
the MIME standard, from what I can discern from the rfc).  My current
code looks like this:

HttpClient client = new HttpClient();
PostMethod post = new PostMethod(target);

// set the request headers
post.setRequestHeader("Slug", slug);
post.setRequestHeader("X-On-Behalf-Of", user);

// construct the xml and binary file parts
FilePart xmlPart = new FilePart("atom", new File(xml), "text/xml", null);
FilePart binaryPart = new FilePart("binary", new File(binary));

// make the multipart request body
Part[] parts = { xmlPart, binaryPart };
MultipartRequestEntity re = new MultipartRequestEntity(parts,
post.getParams());
post.setRequestEntity(re);

// execute the post
client.executeMethod(post);

As you can see, I've got the Content-Type header being set properly in
the FilePart constructor, and this works fine.  What I can't figure out
how to do is add the Content-Disposition header to either of these
parts.  I've poked around the examples, tutorials and mailing lists but
haven't been able to find any examples of this, but I have seen
references in the source code to the content disposition in the Part
object from which FilePart eventually extends.

Any help or pointers to documentation gratefully appreciated.

All the best,

Richard

--
Richard Jones
Head Repository Systems Architect, Symplectic Limited