From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Q]log4j logging setup
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2009 08:52:12 GMT
On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 02:33:38AM -0400, V S P wrote:
> Hello
>
> wanted to ask if a combination of
> http-components core 4.0
> commons-logging-1.1
> log4j-1.2.13
>
> is supposed to be working to produce DEBUG logging
>
> Do I possibly need to pass any special args
> to things like  HttpRequestExecutor?
>
> My configuration file is
> -----------------
> log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG,stdout

> log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%5p [%c] %m%n
>
> log4j.logger.org.apache.component=DEBUG,stdout
> log4j.logger.httpclient.wire=DEBUG,stdout
> log4j.logger.org.apache.commons.httpclient=DEBUG,stdout
> log4j.logger.org.openxml4j=DEBUG,stdout
> -----------------
>
> I load it in main with
> PropertyConfigurator.configure(args[0]);
> but also specify it with -Dlog4j.configuration
> just in case -- as I am at a loss now.
>

> I have made sure with
> java -Dorg.apache.commons.logging.diagnostics.dest=STDOUT
> that my log4j installation is detected.
>

> My logging messages are displayed,
> also
> openxml4j messages are displayed too (I am using that package as well)
> DEBUG [org.openxml4j] Save core properties part
> DEBUG [org.openxml4j] Save core properties part
>
> My program is command line (not executed within a app server)
> It is pretty much a cut and paste from the ElementalHttpGet.java
>
> not even a single line is coming out frm httpcomponents
>
> thank you in advance for any pointers
> Vlad
> --
>   V S P
>   toreason@fastmail.fm

Vlad,

HttpCore does not depend on a particular logging toolkit and therefore unable to do any kind
of loggingout of the box. One can always add logging capabilities by decorating core classes
as demonstrated below:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpclient/trunk/httpclient/src/main/java/org/apache/http/impl/conn/DefaultClientConnection.java

Hope this helps

Oleg