From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Http Client 4.0: logging?
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:26:00 GMT
On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 11:11 +0000, Florent Georges wrote:

> > > Thanks for your response.  Are there any plan to add such
> > > logging to HttpClient 4.0?  I must admit that if this is not
> > > the case, I'll have to consider revert back to 3.1 :-(
>
> > HttpClient 4.0 _supports_ logging using Commons Logging
> > _exactly_ the same way as HttpClient 3.x. You are confusing
> > HttpCore and HttpClient, which are not the same thing.
>
>   Well, I am confused.  I thought you told above that logging
> didn't apply to Http Client 4.0.

HttpCore 4.0 != HttpClient 4.0

HttpCore 4.0 does not use any logging toolkit
HttpClient 4.0 does (though Commons Logging)

>   I tried the following (from
> http://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/logging.html#Commons_Logging_Examples):
>
> System.setProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.Log","org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog");
> System.setProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.showdatetime","true");
> System.setProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.log.httpclient.wire.header","debug");
> System.setProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.log.org.apache.commons.httpclient","debug");
>
> but that does not change anything.  There ir not any log.  I
> tried to changed the following property:
>
> org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.log.org.apache.commons.httpclient
>
> to the following one:
>
> org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.log.org.apache.http

Then, your logging configuration must be messed up in some way.

I would also strongly recommend passing system properties to the JVM at
the startup as VM arguments

-Dorg.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog
-Dorg.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.log.org.apache.http=DEBUG

Oleg